My experiences and perspectives on living abroad in Italy.

Thursday, August 28, 2008

The Interesting Begining!

Not soon after settleing on the plane did Emma who I had the pleasure of sitting next to, begin her tummy sickness act.
After 30min of trying to distract her from her self-absorbtion, the plane's entertainment (aka Movies) became available.
Might I just say "The Last Sameri" was very interesting (oh yeah I sooo could not sleep)
After landing and locating the belt thingy that our suit-cases where on, I ~Ha-ha sooo not funny~ fall over trying to lift one of my many bags off the belt. In so doing caused a domino effect on the surrounding travelers bags. (classic leave it to Abbey move)
Once all the bags where loaded onto each other we headed for the train that would connect us to London Central and our hotel(if you can call it that).
So as we all ran down the platform towards the train which just happened to be the last one running that day, Emma decided she could no longer pull her bags; so being the best sister ever took on her bags as well making a grand total of 7 bags.
Ordering Emma to run and catch up with mom and dad I struggled to make the train.
Throwing myself and the 7 bags into the first car became seperated from the others.
I wouldn't have minded so much where it not for the looks of utter emusment/prejudice I had the pleasure of obtaining.
Thankfully there was a nice man who took pity on a poor girl and helped me collect the scattered bags. Then at our stop, I again through the bags and myself off the train barely missing the gaping hole of death between the train and the platform.
Ahh! The in my opinion not even 1/2 star rated hotel. By the time I was done pulling, lugging, cursing, kicking, and lothing the bags up to the third floor which don't ask me how took 6 flights of stairs to reach(!!!!!!) I passed out on a bed consisting of nothing but old, sharp, hard, and loud springs.
Needless to say upon awaking the following morning, I was not in the best of spirits.
But...sometimes if you are me things get worse.
Once in Paris dad and I wanted to take a taxi to the following station where we would proceed. But NOOOOOO mom was convienced that the train station from Paris was connected to the metro that would take us to the train headed for Saumur. (anyone else reading this spy the deflect in her plan?)
Well guess what?
THERE WERE NO CONNECTIONS TO THE METRO WITHOUT GOING UP AND DOWN STAIRS."
So after having an amazing conversation with God upon my death, we arrived in Saumur breathless, cranky, tired, and dripping in sweat.
Ok from this point till now things have gotten better.
Spending a blessed 20minutes in a bath soon helped to relax my body and calm my mind.
Deciding to rome the streets in search of food mom found this one amazing resterant full off uneatable food. For example: the traditional frog legs, snails, and liver, the others consisted of pig's ear and belly, horse, and skined whole rabbit with eyes and teeth included(it was a special deal).
Hehehe after ordering the chocolate cake (big grin) we fell into easy conversation with the family next to us; from Manchester.
5 hours later we tumbled into bed.
OH how I hope inprovment is not far away.

1 comment:

katieisakiwi said...

Jeez Abbey, get a little more negative why don't you....
And you had to have at least one spastic incident (falling over while trying to pick up your luggage) in honor of me, so that's really okay.
But really, you can't say your trip has been uneventful! And I'm kind of upset that you had to meet people from Manchester without me there...well, my reaction to their accents might have been inappropriate, so maybe it's better that way. Actually, English accents aren't as powerful as they used to be on me...I've overcome my weakness. Well, I guess we'll see how true that is when I'm in London.
I hope you find some food that doesn't resemble anything with a shell or a snout. I miss you!!!!! I have class in an hour...whooo Post Colonial Lit. I know your mom loves that stuff.
Okay, most importantly, HAVE FUN!!!