My experiences and perspectives on living abroad in Italy.

Saturday, August 30, 2008

Market Day In Saumur

It's Market Day,
And the whole square which is located one block from our hotel, was abundant with people of all ages and generational clashes. Which became clear when I walked up to an elder french speaking woman selling homemade bread, (it looked and smelled soooo good) and realized she was texting on her cell phone. I recieved alot of questionable glanzes following my outburst of random laughter.
I was however, very amazed at the presentation of it all; the endless time and effort the local sellers contributed towards their stands, and for only a once aweek morning bring and buy.
It was beautiful though all the colors and smells and personalities.
Baskets piled high with gawdy jewlery, and watches, racks upon racks of interesting bright colored clothes, and tables containing fish, chicken, rabbit, crabs, rice, bread etc..
I snaped picture after picture hoping to somehow capture the mood of the scene that was being played for me.
Walking farther down one of the many narrow yet charming allies I came across a man selling chickens and ducks.
I was bent over one of the cages petting a baby duck when this fat couple waddle up and buy three baskets of ducks for their dinner. Maybe if they ate less duck they wouldn't waddle so much the nasty meanies.
Anyway being the animal lover that I am (hehehehe yes i really did) bought one of the poor babies. (hahaha I wish I had my camra ready so I could have my dads facial exmression on paper)
Unfortunatly mom sided with dad (typical) and I could not keep my new pet (surprise surprise). The poor little duck.
So I returned to the hotel to start working on my school work; which, naturally means I'm online sharing my days eventful and never dull situations via The Blog.
Hope everyone is having just as many funfilled adventures as I am!

No comments: